Industrial relations glossary

 

Industrial relations glossary

Hello, my name is Fatima Zouggar. I am currently studying in College Ahuntsic for my last semester in the program called international studies. The focus of this program is politics and history. However, even if they are my favorites courses I registered at the University of Montreal (UDEM) for the baccalaureate in industrial relations. I describe myself as someone who has to ability to solve problems quickly, love human contact and the labors laws. Those are the mains focus of the program. The glossary of 20 words will help people interested in this program to learn words, their pronunciation and their meaning related to the field.

trade union
noun
A group of people gathered to become an organization to defend and protect their rights and interests in a workplace.
Example: I joined the trade union to contest my wrongful termination at my work.
fr: syndicat
mediation
noun
An intervention between parties to resolve a problem with the presence of a neutral third party.
Example: I propose a mediation to resolve the conflict between two employees.
fr: médiation
null
basic wage
noun
A salary depending on the cost of living and used as a calculator for rates of pay.
Example: The basic wage in Montreal for all workplaces are $14.25.
fr: salaire minimum
social advantages
noun
A service pay by the employer to improve the quality of life and work beside their salary.
Example: My employer provided in my contract social advantages covered by the company for my health care.
fr: avantages sociaux
discrimination
noun
Unfair treatment or disadvantages based on the gender, race, ethnicity of the employee.
fr: discrimination
bylaw
noun
Rules adopted by a company to control their organization that only applies to them.
Example: My workplace established bylaws against sexual harassment.
fr: arrêté
call-back pay
noun
Minimum pay for a minimum numbers of work hours.
Example: I was scheduled for an 8-hour shift but was laid-out earlier and worked only one hour. So, I was pay for 3 hours as the call-back pay require.
fr: rémunération de rappel
compensatory time off
noun
Work hours pay when a holiday falls on an employee day off.
Example: Even tho the Canada independence day falls on my day off, I was allowed compensatory time off.
fr: congé compensatoire
layoff
noun
The termination of an employee because of shortage of work or economic reasons.
Example: I was laid off because of the hiring freeze.
fr: licencier
collective bargaining
noun
A method or a negotiation used to determinate the conditions of work for employees.
Example: Through my union trade, I decided to bargain the salary and benefits of my employment.
fr: négociation collective
null
grievance
noun
A complaint made by a group of employees or a union about their work conditions, polices and practices.
Example: We made a grievance to the human resources about the overtime pay.
fr: sujet de plainte
wages policy
noun
Instructions regulated by the government, trade union or employees on money wages.
Example: The trade union has sent a request for the wages policy about an increase for the older workers.
fr: politique salariale
overtime
noun
Hours worked in addition of regular hours and pay an extra wage.
Example: My work schedule is supposed to be a total of 40 hours, but last week I did 46 hours and was paid overtime.
fr: heures supplémentaires
null
resignation
noun
The deliberate decision of a worker to terminate their employment with a notice.
Example: I gave my resignation two weeks ago because I found a new job.
fr: démission
contract of employment
noun
An agreement signed by the employee and employer to put in place the conditions and policies of the employment.
Example: Before my first day of work, I met the human resources to sign a contract of employment to protect my rights and establish the conditions of the employment.
fr: contrat d'embauche
null
employment statues
noun
The attestation that shows if the employment is part-time, full-time, permanent or temporary.
Example: I work 20 hours a week, so I am considered a part-time worker.
fr: statuts d'emploi
null
claim
noun
A request made by normally a trade union to improve the conditions of the workplace.
Example: My trade union made a claim to improve our social benefits.
fr: réclamation
blue-collar work
noun
A blue-collar work is a worker who accomplishes manual work.
Example: My work as a carpenter is considered a blue-collar worker.
fr: col bleu
null
white-collar worker
noun
A white-collar worker is an employee who performs in a work office and does administration work, sales, management, etc.
Example: My work as a technician customer service is considered to be a white-collar worker.
fr: travailleur en col blanc
negotiation
noun
A discussion with two parties to resolve a conflict of interest and to reach an agreement between the employer and the workers.
Example: I decided to negotiate my new contract with my employer to increase my wage and to be on a common ground.
fr: négociation
null

Commentaires